Honeymoon Day 6: Seward, Ak

This post is admittedly not about Sprout. In fact, it is pre-Sprout. However, we thought some people may be interested in our Alaskan travel and wanted to move our prior posts to this blog. This is post 6 of 13 in our Honeymoon Series.

Location: Seward, Ak

Our host’s breakfast specialty is sourdough pancakes, hence the name “Sourdough Sunrise B & B.” They were, as promised, exceptional. We drove into the “downtown” area of Seward to assess options for our itinerary during our stay. We ended up deciding to go on a kayaking tour of one of the coasts adjacent to the town. (Since the area has several fjords, there are quite a few coasts to explore.] Unfortunately, we did not take many pictures of our trip (Jacqui feared for her camera’s safety while we paddled) and words don’t do justice to the experience of being on the expansive water. We set out with a guide and several other kayakers on a water taxi down the coast, but only after the junior owner of the outfit confided to us that his guides were rude and incompetent, and that we would likely not return alive… It didn’t make sense to us either, self-deprecation is apparently a common sales strategy in Alaska (see “Cheap Beer, Lousy Food” above). We were dropped with our kayaks in a secluded cove (“Humpy Cove”) with starfish on stony beaches, crystal-clear green water and flanked by snow-capped peaks soaring into the clouds. We set off in our tandem kayak both a bit worried that navigational disagreements might result in a flipped kayak and early marital dissolution. We are glad to report that we are still happily married (after 3 whole weeks and 5 hours of kayaking). We explored rocky coasts, were ourselves explored by curious sea lions, and lunched by a thunderous waterfall, snowmelt off the mountain plummeting into the sea.

Sea lions swimming
Starfish on the beach
Our lunch spot.

After lunch, we scrambled up steep banks over thick mossy roots and fallen trees to look down on the waterfall and enjoy the cool mist. Even though the water was barely 40 degrees, the sun was out and the paddling kept us comfortable. As the afternoon wore on, the wind picked up and waves began churning the surface of the water. We were scheduled to meet the water taxi 1.5 miles from the cove entrance, which meant that we needed to fight to paddle over waves that were higher than the kayak. There were a few moments when the waves were crashing on the kayak and knocking us around that we had second thoughts about whether we were cut out for ocean kayaking. However, when we reached our destination (“Thumb Cove”) and saw three alpine glaciers strewn across the peaks directly above us, we knew the challenge was worth it. We had a fantastic day, but we decided we will be taking it easier tomorrow on a fjord cruise through the National Park.

Still alive after kayaking.


Leave a Reply